ABHP Exam Prep Part I
These intensive 5-day course will prepare CHP candidates for successful completion of Parts I of the ABHP examination.
We haven't scheduled this course for the near future. However we do conduct this training by request. Contact our registrar today so we can work together on bringing this training to your organization. Use the form below or call us: 800.871.7930.
This intensive 5-day course will prepare CHP candidates for successful completion of Part I of the ABHP examination. The course includes technical review of various subjects and problem solving based on the book, The Health Physics SOLUTIONS MANUAL: Introduction to Health Physics Problems Made Easy. The SOLUTIONS MANUAL provides answers to every question given in the Fourth Edition of Introduction to Health Physics, by Dr. Herman Cember. Copies of these books are provided to all attendees.
Class sizes will be limited to assure maximum attention for each student’s needs.
The instructor will go over test taking tips so that you can be prepared when you get there. The ABHP exam rules will be discuss so that there are no surprises when you arrive at the exam site.
The primary instructors are certified health physicists. The instructors are versed in several health physics disciplines and have all taken and passed both parts of of the ABHP exam.
Lectures will relate to the topics of interest and each day exams with technical content similar to the questions posed on part I exams will be taken and studied. The multiple choice exams will range from short (25 question) to (100 question) and each question will be answered with the technical basis for its answer presented.
This exam preparation course is not facility nor discipline specific. It will allow you a familiarity with the radiation protection at:
- Nuclear Reactor Facilities
- Environmental Radiation
- Mining, Milling and Fuel Fabrication Facilities
- Nuclear Waste Facilities
- Accelerator Facilities
- Laser Facilities
- Academic Institutions
- Decommissioning Projects
Topics for the class are based on the topics that you want to see. An instructor for the class will contact each participant to identify what is considered to be the most effective topics to satisfy the needs of the class.
Topics May Include
- Fundamentals of Radiation and Radiation Protection
- Evaluation of Radiation Hazards
- Development of Standards and Regulations
- ICRP/NCRP/NAS/BEIR Reports
- External Dosimetry
- Skin Contamination Dose Considerations
- Criticality Monitoring
- Shielding Calculations
- Activation of Materials
- X-Ray Radiation Safety
- Atmospheric Dispersion
- Dose from Medical Procedures
- Transportation of Radioactive Materials
- Internal Dosimetry / ICRP 60
- Bioassay Considerations
- Airborne Activity Sampling and Analysis
- Analysis of Workplace Hazards and Establishing Controls
- Radionuclide Equilibrium
- Thyroid Dosimetry
- Contamination Control
- Establishing Training Programs
- Legal Issues in Radiation Protection
- Radiation Detection / Instrument Types and Limitations
- Process and Effluent Sampling
- Statistics of Instrument Response
- Radionuclide Analysis
- Conditions for Release of Materials from Radiological Control
- Health Physics Operations and Procedures
- Accelerator Radiation Safety
- Characteristics of Radioactive Sources
- Dosimetry Processing Techniques
- Laser Radiation Safety
- Non-Ionizing Radiation
- Emergency Response
- Environmental Sampling
- Exposure Pathway Analysis
- Representative Sampling
- Determination of Sample Results, LLD, LD, Uncertainty
- Standards and Regulations
- Instrument Calibration and Maintenance
- Radionuclide Characteristics that you should know
- Health Effects of Ionizing and Non-Ionizing Radiation
- YOUR Special Topics
Did You Know...?
Each class is taught by instructors with the certification that you strive to achieve and class size is limited to ensure maximum attention to your specific needs.
Those intending to take Part I of the American Board of Health Physics (ABHP) Exam to become a Certified Health Physics (CHP).